29 May, 2011

#5: Name a film that you can and do quote from

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery. It has so many quotable lines in it. My friends and I do the Swedish penis enlarger sketch where Austin has been reanimated and is collecting his belongings: "Honestly, it's not mine" / "One book by Austin Powers: 'The Swedish penis enlarger and me: This sort of thing is my bag baby'."

I also have a mug with the Dr Evil auotobiographical monologue: "He used to accuse chestnuts of being lazy..." and I love "DOCTOR Evil—I didn't go to evil medical school for six years just to be called mister, thank you very much" and "You're the Diet Coke of evil. Just one calorie, not evil enough."

"My name is Richie Cunningham and this is my wife Oprah."

"One million dollars!"

"All I've ever wanted was to have sharks with frickin' laser beams on their heads. So what do we have?" / "Sea bass." / "Sea bass?" / "They are mutated, sir." / "Are they ill tempered?"

I'm actually really bad at direct quotes (which is why, as a journo, I record my interviews and transcribe them word for word) but the best thing about quoting from movies is you only have to get the voice and the words approximately right to get a laugh.

Another movie my friends and I do is Zoolander. Zoolander quotes work best when any of us bring them out when the others least expect it.

Oft-repeated quotes:

Derek comes back from being brainwashed and he's asked where he's been for several days. "I've only been away for one day. At a DAY spa. D-A-I-Y-E."

"Eugoogly."

In answer to any question in which one does not know the answer: "Mugatu?"

The saddest thing about these movies is that there are kids now in high school who were born after they were made, which just makes me feel old.

Oh, and I should mention Life of Brian too: "What have the Romans ever done for us?" etc...

Day 06 - Name a film musical that you know all of the lyrics to all of the songs.
Day 07 - Name a film that you would recommend everyone see.
Day 08 - Ever walked out of a film?
Day 09 - Name a film that made you cry in the cinema.
Day 10 - Name a film that you liked that everyone hated.
Day 11 - How often do you go to the cinema (as opposed to renting them or watching them at home)?
Day 12 - What’s the last film you saw in the cinema?
Day 13 - What’s your favourite/preferred genre of film?
Day 14 - What’s the first film you remember seeing in the cinema?
Day 15 - What film do you wish you had never seen?
Day 16 - What is the scariest film you’ve seen?
Day 17 - If you could be any character portrayed in a movie, who would it be?
Day 18 - Favourite movie hero?
Day 19 - Favourite movie villain?
Day 20 - Favourite movie adaptation (from book, play, musical, graphic novel etc)?
Day 21 - Favourite movie quote?
Day 22 - Favourite documentary?
Day 23 - Favourite director?
Day 24 - Favourite sequel?
Day 25 - Favourite movie franchise/series?
Day 26 - Popcorn?
Day 27 - Total number of films you own on DVD and video.
Day 28 - Last film you bought.
Day 29 - Last film you watched.
Day 30 - Five films that mean a lot to you.

Twenty-one categories of this meme are from Books and Movies and Wordsmithsonia. The rest of the categories are my own creation.

No comments: