05 May, 2011

#24: A book that you wish more people would’ve read

This is kind of like Day 7: Most Underrated Book, and I would have nominated that book so to avoid repeating myself I'm going to sit and have a think for a while.

I'm going to say that I wish more people would read books on spelling, punctuation and grammar. The English language is going down the toilet. I don't mind new words and portmanteaus (or is it portmanteaux?) and interesting plays on words but really, you have to know the rules before you can break them.

I saw a press release with the word its' the other day and could do nothing but shake my head (and tweet about it). And the fact that Fairfax has sacked all its subeditors gives me the heebie-jeebies. I'm glad I stopped reading the SMH a long time ago.

So listen up kids, learn your grammar good and then you can tell me what's wrong with this sentence.

Day 25 – A character who you can relate to the most
Day 26 – A book that changed your opinion about something
Day 27 – The most surprising plot twist or ending
Day 28 – Favourite title
Day 29 – A book everyone hated but you liked
Day 30 – Your favourite book of all time

I'd like to thank Sarah Jansen for her tweet about this, as well as The Literary Gothamite and Confessions of a Book Lush for the good idea.

No comments: