23 May, 2011

#2: Name a film that you’ve seen multiple times in the cinema

I don't think I've ever seen a film more than twice at the cinema so the word 'multiple' sort of rules everything out.

Actually, I have seen something three times: it was a short called The Adjustable Cosmos, which screened ahead of two films I saw at last year's Sydney Film Festival. I then saw it again in a collection of animated shorts for the Fantastic Planet film festival. It's a funny film that kept the laughs through multiple viewings and I became quite fond of it.

Some films I've see twice at the cinema:

  • American Pie: The first time it'd screened as a 'mystery film', the second time I went with friends who'd missed out. Should I be admitting this?

  • American Beauty: I was a bit WTF? the first time so I thought I'd see it in a break between uni classes back when cheap Tuesday tickets were actually cheap.

  • The Dark Knight and Sherlock Holmes: These films screened after Clash of the Titans at a movie marathon. Although my movie friend and I had already seen both of them, we'd decided they were good enough to see again, particularly on the big screen. Just as well, because Clash of the Titans was shithouse, so we needed two decent movies to wash our eyes out.

  • Inception: Saw this with my movie friend, a much anticipated film. Then it featured as part of my first date with my current boyfriend because I recommended it and I wanted to see if I could pick up anything further upon second viewing.

  • Boy: Saw this at last year's Sydney Film Festival and *loved* it. I later went to see my sister in Canberra and she doesn't often get time to see movies (despite being a Dendy Club member) so I recommended it. There are so few cinema complexes in Canberra, and so few screens in each complex, that this ended up being the only decent thing showing. Just as well it was a top film. The most interesting thing about it is the first time I saw it I remember laughing so hard I cried. The second time I saw it, I cried so much I had to laugh.


I'm a fan of going to the cinema for the big screen experience. My tiny townhouse will not fit a big screen and sound system (well, the wall will fit a big screen but I just don't have the space to have my couch as far back as it needs to be, a la Roy's place in The IT Crowd episode 'Moss and the German'). A film's run also forces me to watch it in a set time, which is more than I can say for my DVD queue at Quickflix.

I will try and see a film at the cinema more than once if I think it warrants the big screen experience but in general, with movie ticket prices being what they are, I like to see something new each time.

Day 03 - Name an actor that would make you more inclined to see a film.
Day 04 - Name an actor that would make you less likely to see a film.
Day 05 - Name a film that you can and do quote from.
Day 06 - Name a film musical that you know all of the lyrics to all of the songs.
Day 07 - Name a film that you would recommend everyone see.
Day 08 - Ever walked out of a film?
Day 09 - Name a film that made you cry in the cinema.
Day 10 - Name a film that you liked that everyone hated.
Day 11 - How often do you go to the cinema (as opposed to renting them or watching them at home)?
Day 12 - What’s the last film you saw in the cinema?
Day 13 - What’s your favourite/preferred genre of film?
Day 14 - What’s the first film you remember seeing in the cinema?
Day 15 - What film do you wish you had never seen?
Day 16 - What is the scariest film you’ve seen?
Day 17 - If you could be any character portrayed in a movie, who would it be?
Day 18 - Favourite movie hero?
Day 19 - Favourite movie villain?
Day 20 - Favourite movie adaptation (from book, play, musical, graphic novel etc)?
Day 21 - Favourite movie quote?
Day 22 - Favourite documentary?
Day 23 - Favourite director?
Day 24 - Favourite sequel?
Day 25 - Favourite movie franchise/series?
Day 26 - Popcorn?
Day 27 - Total number of films you own on DVD and video.
Day 28 - Last film you bought.
Day 29 - Last film you watched.
Day 30 - Five films that mean a lot to you.

Twenty-one categories of this meme are from Books and Movies and Wordsmithsonia. The rest of the categories are my own creation.

No comments: