09 May, 2011

#27: The most surprising plot twist or ending

The end of Markus Zusak's The Messenger.

I'd read The Book Thief before this novel, which is an earlier work, and knew he was on his way to establishing himself as a master storyteller. I wasn't disappointed: The Messenger holds the reader's attention right the way through like a mystery should. Then, at the very last, the book suddenly becomes crap because of the ending.

I found it suprising because I'd expected more of Zusak.

(spoilers here)

I'm not entirely sure what this meme topic can accomplish from people who don't want to reveal the twist...

Day 28 – Favourite title
Day 29 – A book everyone hated but you liked
Day 30 – Your favourite book of all time

I'd like to thank Sarah Jansen for her tweet about this, as well as The Literary Gothamite and Confessions of a Book Lush for the good idea.

No comments: