05 May, 2011

#25: A character who you can relate to the most

When I read a book, I tend to relate to almost all the characters but different aspects of each, so this is quite a black and white question for something that needs to be elaborated on in various colours.

Despite this, I've decided to pick Sophie from Patrick Gale's Friendly Fire. A good overview of the book is on Patrick Gale's website.

Reasons I relate to Sophie:
Included and supportive, yet excluded. Sophie makes friends with the boys in the novel and supports their homosexuality and yet was always the outsider because she is a girl. I felt like that a lot when I was at school; I knew I had good friends on whom I could rely and yet in some ways I was always going to be excluded in some way or another because I was never someone's best friend.

Interest in homosexual culture. I get the feeling I was gay in a past life because I have such a keen interest in homosexuality and yet I'm not gay. I'll put it this way, I prefer men but I'm not completely closed to other options.

Unrequited (somewhat impossible) love. That was me for 21 years.

Love of learning. It's lifelong. And it keeps you warm at night when other types of love go unrequited.

Day 26 – A book that changed your opinion about something
Day 27 – The most surprising plot twist or ending
Day 28 – Favourite title
Day 29 – A book everyone hated but you liked
Day 30 – Your favourite book of all time

I'd like to thank Sarah Jansen for her tweet about this, as well as The Literary Gothamite and Confessions of a Book Lush for the good idea.

No comments: