01 February, 2007

The Beautiful People

It's a Beautiful People pash-fest. Apparently The Bear and The Chief had a pash session at drinks last Thursday (while I was off doing Sydney Festival stuff... how dare they?). Apparently it was all 'harmless fun'. I knew it had to happen sooner or later, people that good looking are magnets - they can't resist each other. I also like knowing something that I'm not supposed to know.

Anyway, Mae-Mae was really affected by it, despite the fact that she's in a long term relationship and has no interest in The Chief (at least she didn't the last time I checked...). Basically, she wanted to know why guys like The Bear so much (this is the third guy from work who has made a play for her). I replied "she's fun, she's intelligent, she's pretty - what can I say?". Mae-Mae seems to understand all this on a cognitive level, but not yet on an emotional level.

I tried another tack. I told her that The Bear is a 'canary'. You know how canaries used to go down the mines to see if the mine is safe? The Bear is like my canary - the guys who fall for her aren't going to come near me, and I'm okay with that. After all, she's saved me a lot of time because I don't spend it chasing someone who isn't worth my while. Add to that the fact that The Chief supposedly has a girlfriend - I wouldn't want to be his if he's going to call pashing The Bear 'harmless fun'.

Anyway, I've seen them together since, at afternoon coffee yesterday and at lunch today. I mentioned this and was told (by someone who didn't know he had a girlfriend) that that has been happening for a while. Hmm. This one is definitely none of my business; I'm staying out. But it's nice to know how the real world works.

No comments: