28 February, 2007

Honesty, the worst fiscal policy

Before Christmas I ordered two copies of 'Buddha Bar: Ten Years' from my favourite online music outlet. One was for me and the other was meant for my brother. Usually I get the discs about 4-5 days after I order them but when they didn't come for a couple of weeks, I emailed them and asked what was going on. They were nice enough to say that they'd been dispatched but since I hadn't received them, they would send me another couple, which arrived safe and sound.

I thought no more of this issue until a couple of weeks ago when I got a postal slip in my mailbox telling me I had a package at the post office. I was a bit confused because I wasn't expecting anything and most things that I buy are able to fit through the slot. (And for some stoopid reason the PO isn't open half a day on weekends like most decent-sized POs, so I either have to take time off work or harrass my flatmate to fetch the parcel cos she works in North Sydney). (Guess which option won?)

She got the packages - it was the missing CDs. The lady at the PO admitted that they'd been "slack" and that the parcels were left over from Christmas (so I was notified TWO MONTHS after they actually came in). The bad thing was, the packages DO actually fit in my mail box (cos the replacements did) so I shouldn't have needed to send my flatmate to the PO after all. Shame Australia Post, shame.

It got worse. I decided to be a good girl and tell CD-WOW that the missing CDs had turned up and that I was going to send them back. I thought I'd just strike out my address and put "return to sender" on the package. Not so. There was no return address on the actual packages, so they gave me an address in CYPRUS. I had to repackage the CDs (they are despatched separately in order to fit through normal mailbox slots) and go to the PO and pay them for what was their mistake. You have no idea how annoying that was. It cost me $9.50 and that was by sea mail, the slowest, cheapest way.

So. Yeah. Being honest. Not always good.

No comments: