08 March, 2008

The Zuman Race

I went to Taronga Zoo today. I don't generally make a habit of going when it's a) a weekend; or b) sunny because then there are likely to be people around and I wouldn't want that, would I? However, as I'd bought a yearly pass (which expires at the end of this month) and hadn't used it at all, I thought I'd go at least once so I didn't feel as if I'd wasted $80 (or whatever it is now... I forget). I may even be able to squeeze in another visit during the Easter break. I found out that the entrance fee has gone up to a phenomenal $37 for an adult, which is $10 more than it was five years ago so I may only need to visit one more time to get close to what I paid.

Anyway, part of the reason I went is because I have writer's block. I have so many ideas running around in my head on things to write that not only am I not writing any of them, I'm not furthering the most important project ie my novel. Going to the zoo, I believed, would be a great idea because sitting on the lawn in front of the aviary of my South American friends, the Andean condors, has yielded quite a lot in the past. Besides, I thought the concept of captivity would rub off nicely to aid my novel.

Instead, I managed to think of two solid plots for short stories and an ephemeral one for a novel. Sigh. And I took lots of photos. Here are a few of my favourites:

Zebra

Meerkat acting as a sentinel

Giraffes in a row

Dingo contemplating a nap


As you can see, I like when animals look pensive. I would also like to note that it is the first time I've ever seen the Clouded Leopard at Taronga. Every time prior to this, the enclosure has either been empty or I couldn't find the beast. It's a lot smaller than I thought (no pics, sorry), about the size of a medium dog, but very prettily patterned.

On the way home I remembered to buy laundry liquid but forgot to buy myself a Creme Egg.

No comments: