10 March, 2008

A Century of Mills & Boon

So Mills & Boon, that icon of romantic fiction, turns 100 this year. Looking good for a centurian, I must say. With legs like that...

Anyway, I read an article about the history of this noble publishing house in this week's Spectrum. They had a box out at the bottom with various quotes from different Mills & Boon books from different eras. The one from 2008 read:

"He **** his **** and then the **** *** on her ****."
- Don't Look Back by Joanne Rock


Now, I'm not sure whether I don't know enough censor-able words or whether they just censored a whole bunch of words that I wouldn't ordinarily censor but I can't actually figure out what that's supposed to say. I mean, c'mon! Give us the initial letter or something!

Any guesses?

2 comments:

Christof said...

He flipped his eggs and then the alarm sounded on her watch.

Unknown said...

I emailed Joanne Rock from her website and she was nice enough to send the following reply:

"This is a tough one since I have so few words to go on and all of them are words that would show up in a manuscript time and time again! In addition, the copy of the book that I have on my computer may be a smidge different than the final proofread end-product where the editors can streamline bits of phrasing. So in other words, my searchable, digital edition of the book might not have the exact string of words the newspaper spotted in a final, hard-copy of the book.

However, I did my best! And I came up with something appropriately racy that they might have wanted to bleep the heck out of. Please know that I feel a bit voyeuristic to drop in on a hero and heroine in the middle of their love story to revisit a love scene, when there was a great deal of build to get to this point. So do excuse the intense moment already in progress:

'... He licked his thumb and then centered the damp pad on her clit as he repeated the thrust...' - from Don't Look Back

Voila! I hope the newspaper article generates a bit of a interest about the book since they certainly didn't reveal much of the storyline ;-). I appreciate your note about it!"

Isn't that nice? Anyway, if that is a mere example of the type of scene in the book, it is as I suspected - the paper seems not only to have censored words that would ordinarily not be censored BUT didn't even use the correct number of asterisks to censor them. Shame! Thanks Joanne!