08 November, 2007

First Tuesday

I bet on the Melbourne Cup every year, just like millions of Australians. It's an expensive three-and-a-half minutes, let me tell you. This year my outlay was $1/win and $2/place for three horses - Tungsten Strike (led for half the race, then like most early leaders CAME LAST), Sirmione and Eskimo Queen = $9.

I also bought a horse in the office sweep for $5 and pulled Zipping, which is the exact same horse that I got in last year's sweep. AND GUESS WHAT? It came FOURTH. JUST LIKE IT DID LAST YEAR. Fourth is the first loser, you don't get anything but you have the ignominy of knowing that you were pretty close to getting a small prize.

Still, I suppose it's a good thing that the boss took us to lunch at the pub and paid for drinks. That way no one loses. (Anyway, he won the sweep).

No comments: