08 November, 2007

The Cat Empire - So Many Nights (gig/album)


The Cat Empire
Metro Theatre, Sydney (14th, 17th October, 2007)

So Many Nights (2007)
By The Cat Empire (EMI)

On first listening to the album So Many Nights, I had moments where I thought "I kinda like that", such as the string/scratch 'turn' on the title track and the rumble behind Harry's vocals on The Darkness but nothing stood out until the soaring emotional pull of The Ocean Takes Us All.

It's always the way, isn't it? You have a band you love and you know all their existing albums off by heart and they have a new collection that you know you should love - but you don't yet. Since I'm of the old school of listening, whereby I will play albums through, and repeat, instead of skipping songs that I don't like to begin with, then I get a thorough aural education when a new album comes out.

Eventually I added Radio Song and Voodoo Cowboy to my favoured list but it took about four listens to discover those. The thing with TCE is that you need to go to a live show to consolidate an album because then you really appreciate the nuances in the music through the energy that the boys inject into the lyrics and their musical relationship.

So my flatmate and I went to two very different gigs at The Metro, Sydney (part of their record-breaking series). The Sunday was the first night of this series so they were fresh, rolling out the new songs with aplomb and mixing it up with a few old favourites. Here I gained an appreciation of Fishies, previous to the gig a 'meh' kind of song but one that carried well to rhythmic movement. Harry nursed an excellent The Darkness that must have lasted about 10 minutes but which deserved to be showcased.

As with all their gigs I've see thus far, it was executed with the kind of enthusiasm and energy that you'd only expect from consuming chemical substances. The wonderful thing about TCE is the interplay between the different band members, and even their ring-ins, The Empire Horns, where no one on stage is left behind. The tangents that come from the songs are a delighful mix of raw and polished talent so rare in popular bands these days.

The second show we went to was on Wednesday, which was touted as 'fan night' featuring a set list voted on by the fans. Before the show, fans could submit questions to be answered sporadically throughout the show. Ross Irwin was in charge of reading out the questions and found most of them to be crap except one of mine, which was 'Which song would you never play live?' (I can't remember what my other question was but I think it was pretty cliche). It was the only question that was answered before the exercise got scrapped and the answer, according to Felix, was "I don't think we've ever played The Wine Song live".

I must beg to differ, Mr Riebel, as I fell in love with The Wine Song during the first TCE gig I ever went to, coincidentally at The Metro about five years ago. I distinctly remember a female singer and Harry acting out the 'run, run, run' part. Prior to that I'd never really noticed it on the album.

Anyway, as the set list was nominated by fans it was of course dominated by older stuff, which was a pity as I quite liked listening to the new stuff in a live context. As I said, it's almost necessary to do so to consolidate an album in mine consciousness. Thus, Wednesday was most definitely Harry's night, with lots of 'Harry' songs and impro interludes, including a 15-minute The Car Song and starring a fan doing the trumpet intro to How to Explain. The night finished with two takes of the new single So Many Nights, filmed for the video clip.

The other thing I would like to mention is Felix's sustainability session, which I attended after the Saturday matinee (I didn't go to the show, I just went to the session). Sadly, it was a bit too beginner for me, though I did get to pose the question "If Felix from The Cat Empire can't get The Metro to stop using incandescent light bulbs, what can the rest of us do to change the habits of others?" The answer was a bit philosophical: "Set a good example and don't forget to tell people why you do what you do."

And the other other thing I'd like to mention is the support act, The Bamboos, were fantastic – worth both admissions prices alone. I will definitely try and see them again when they are next in town. Their too cool blend of funk with jazz sensibilities had my feet almost worn out even before TCE mounted the stage. So much rhythm, such a short set...

Gig rating: 9/10
Enjoyment rating: 10/10

Album rating: 7/10
Enjoyment rating: 8/10

No comments: