23 September, 2006

Power

I finished reading George Orwell's '1984' for the the first time a few days ago. I found it to be quite well-written and I liked a lot of the descriptions he used throughout the narrative ('beautiful rubbish' being my favourite). I also understood a lot of political undercurrents strewn from beginning to end and I recognise why the book was so important and groundbreaking - even now. Especially now.

On a personal note, however, I just do not understand the concept of power as an end. Having power means that you can do things, absolute power means that you can do anything you want. Having power and not using it defeats the purpose. It's like having a car and not using it - what's the point? It sits in a garage and gathers dust. Even if it looks pretty, if you never use it there is no point.

Dystopic novels tend to emphasise many things that, to me, seem pointless. Is the power there in case one would like to use it? Does having the power bring pleasure to some? If so, then there is a point. But in '1984', no one in power ever alludes to the possibility that they would like to use the power for anything other than to maintain power. Furthermore, no one seems to derive pleasure from having it. In fact, the opposite occurs - power is a grim reality and those in power relish the dourness of their possession. Pleasure is forbidden and those perpetuating the power do it out of duty. To me it's like drinking your own urine in order to urinate and then drink it again. Over and over.

Is Orwell commenting on the machination of society, that it exists only for a perpetual nothing? In my world, even the 'evil' people have a reason for doing the things they do. It may be stupidity, or a belief, or a pursuit of what they believe to be happiness. They wield their power in their 'evil' deeds as means to an end but power is never the end itself. Power is a vehicle, not a reason. Perhaps I am searching for reason where there may be none, which is why I do not understand the ultimate theme in '1984'.

1 comment:

Janne said...

Maybe next on the agenda is to read Nietzsche's "Will to Power"? Granted, I haven't read it either.