26 June, 2011

#23: Favourite director?

This used to be an easy question. I took a look at all my favourite movies and shortlisted the ones where I thought the direction was exceptional. Then I tallied up which director had the most movies in the shortlist and the answer was Christopher Nolan.

Before Inception (yes, I am one of the many who believe Nolan was robbed of a Best Director Oscar), which is the only heist movie I've ever liked, there was The Dark Knight and Batman Begins. But before *those* were The Prestige and Memento. Not only does Nolan pick interesting movies, he directs them well, and that combination is the winning one.

Now I said this used to be easy because I've come to realise that there are a number of films I really, really like that I don't necessarily own or name on my top films list that have amazing direction.

Among them:
Danny Boyle, for 127 Hours, Slumdog Millionaire, Sunshine, 28 Days Later and The Beach.
Guillermo del Toro, for Pan's Labyrinth.
Spike Jonze, for Where the Wild Things Are, Adaptation, and Being John Malkovich.

I also don't mind a bit of Quentin Tarantino—and I think Duncan Jones is one to watch.

Day 24 - Favourite sequel?
Day 25 - Favourite movie franchise/series?
Day 26 - Popcorn?
Day 27 - Total number of films you own on DVD and video.
Day 28 - Last film you bought.
Day 29 - Last film you watched.
Day 30 - Five films that mean a lot to you.

Twenty-one categories of this meme are from Books and Movies and Wordsmithsonia. The rest of the categories are my own creation.

No comments: