30 April, 2011

#19: Favourite book turned into a movie

I can tell this answer will turn up in the movie meme I'm going to do after this book meme: it's The Beach by Alex Garland.

It's a fantastic read about a traveller who 'finds himself' (and a whole lot more) on a trip to Thailand in the macro theme of 'paradise' (ideal place) versus utopia (no place). This is an idea I'm currently stealing in my novel (on its second draft—only another four years to go, people) so I'll probably read and watch it again soon.

The movie was widely panned but I thought it captured everything in the book quite well. I'll even forgive Garland's English protagonist suddenly becoming Leonardo DiCaprio (who did a fantastic job, by the way). I also thought Danny Boyle did a great job directing. Highly recommend you read the book and watch the movie (either order, both tops) to decide for yourself.

Honourable mention to Philip Pullman's Northern Lights, which became the movie The Golden Compass. The casting was superb, particularly Nicole Kidman as Mrs Coulter, though I hated how they turned The Church into The Magisterium to avoid controversy.

Day 20 – Favourite romance book
Day 21 – Favourite book from your childhood
Day 22 – Favourite book you own
Day 23 – A book you've wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t
Day 24 – A book that you wish more people would’ve read
Day 25 – A character who you can relate to the most
Day 26 – A book that changed your opinion about something
Day 27 – The most surprising plot twist or ending
Day 28 – Favourite title
Day 29 – A book everyone hated but you liked
Day 30 – Your favourite book of all time

I'd like to thank Sarah Jansen for her tweet about this, as well as The Literary Gothamite and Confessions of a Book Lush for the good idea.

No comments: