27 April, 2011

#17: Favourite quote from your favourite book

Today's meme topic is trying to trick me into revealing my favourite book!

Alas, I'm actually incredibly bad at remembering quotes. Half my study time for English literature was devoted to trying to remember a bunch of quotes (I was pretty good at all the other bits). I like karaoke because I can never remember the words to songs, not even my favourite ones.

The only quote I can think of right now is from Alice Munro's Lives of Girls and Women, which I studied in Year 12 (see, all that memorising did pay off): "Love is not for the undepilated."

I also like "'Oh well, what the hell,' sang McWatt. And flew into a mountain", which is from Catch 22 by Joseph Heller, which I studied in Year 10 (all that memorising, still paying off!).

And from a recent book I read, I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett, there's:
"And where they had gone wrong was in believing , somewhere in their minds, that because two things were different, they must therefore be alike."

Thanks Kindle, for allowing me to clip that.

Oh all right, here's a funnier one: "Tiffany knew that when people creid, they said boo-hoo—or at least that's how it was written down in books. No one said it in real life. But Letitia did, while projectile crying all over the steps."

Day 18 – A book that disappointed you
Day 19 – Favourite book turned into a movie
Day 20 – Favourite romance book
Day 21 – Favourite book from your childhood
Day 22 – Favourite book you own
Day 23 – A book you've wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t
Day 24 – A book that you wish more people would’ve read
Day 25 – A character who you can relate to the most
Day 26 – A book that changed your opinion about something
Day 27 – The most surprising plot twist or ending
Day 28 – Favourite title
Day 29 – A book everyone hated but you liked
Day 30 – Your favourite book of all time

I'd like to thank Sarah Jansen for her tweet about this, as well as The Literary Gothamite and Confessions of a Book Lush for the good idea.

No comments: