19 April, 2011

#10: Favourite classic book

Okay, my boyfriend and I have argued about this one, that is to say on the topic of what makes a 'classic' book.

The other problem I have of course is I haven't read very many 'classics' and most of those I have read I don't like very much. This tends to surprise people because I look a studious sort so many assume I read 'War and Peace' when aged 12 or something. I assure you that's not the case. I have more 'classic' books on my 'to read' list than on my 'have read' list...

Anyway, if we're talking pre-20th century classics I'm going to say Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll. Despite being a mathematician, old Charlie was quite a clever linguist.

If I'm allowed to include modern classics, I'm opting for Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird, so elegantly written with the grace of a child protagonist, and Joseph Heller's Catch 22, the satire many other satires want to be.

Day 11 – A book you hated
Day 12 – A book you used to love but don’t anymore
Day 13 – Your favourite writer
Day 14 – Favourite book of your favourite writer
Day 15 – Favourite male character
Day 16 – Favourite female character
Day 17 – Favourite quote from your favourite book
Day 18 – A book that disappointed you
Day 19 – Favourite book turned into a movie
Day 20 – Favourite romance book
Day 21 – Favourite book from your childhood
Day 22 – Favourite book you own
Day 23 – A book you've wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t
Day 24 – A book that you wish more people would’ve read
Day 25 – A character who you can relate to the most
Day 26 – A book that changed your opinion about something
Day 27 – The most surprising plot twist or ending
Day 28 – Favourite title
Day 29 – A book everyone hated but you liked
Day 30 – Your favourite book of all time

I'd like to thank Sarah Jansen for her tweet about this, as well as The Literary Gothamite and Confessions of a Book Lush for the good idea.

No comments: