17 October, 2006

Haw Flakes

When I was a kid my mum used to buy haw flakes for recess. I had no idea what they were, I just ate them. They were somewhere between a snack and candy, sweet with a crumbly kind of melt-in-mouth texture. Anyway, today when I went to see The Devil Wears Prada (okay movie, not as good as it could have been but not bad either) we did our ritual of eating sushi at Blue Fin and then killed some time in Jusco. I found Double Coin Haw Flakes - the packaging has not changed in over 15 years.

Anyway, so the internet is a wonderful thing and I found out that haw flakes are made out of Chinese hawthorn and sugar. Cool. And I also found out that you can buy them online for US$5.99 for a packet of ten. Like, WHAT? I bought a packet of ten just this evening for $AU0.55. That's right, less than 10% of the price, even if you don't convert. Who would actually buy them for $US5.99? As far as I can tell there's nothing all that special about them. Also, if you have a Chinatown, you will find cheap haw flakes. I think that was 55c well spent just to find out, after all these years, what I was eating in my childhood.

No comments: