20 May, 2007

Tequila is not my friend

A long day yesterday and I'm still getting over it. Began with a hike to Newtown with my flatmate because we just missed the train from Central (the next was in 29 minutes). We went to see 'Tales from Earthsea', the Studio Ghibli adapatation of the Ursula Le Guin novels. It wasn't what I expected and parts of it were unusually slow. I wouldn't recommend it, but I haven't read the books yet so who's to know whether my confusion was due to plotholes or a dissatisfaction with the animation? The voice of Lord Cob was particularly impressive though.

After that I caught a train to Rhodes to visit Ikea. Some of you may know my tabletop ironing board saga. I'll happily admit that I returned a $30 ironing board to buy the $10 Ikea ironing board. I'm not going back too soon, however - the busy, chaotic and crowded nature of the place freaks me out a little. And I hate how you go in for one thing and you have to travel through a maze of slow people dawdling with trolleys in the aisle to get to the checkouts.

Managed to get home only to zip out to BQ's housewarming. It was all very gentile - she fed us well and the company was chatty. My only gripe was that because they'd all been to high school together and the majority of them were engaged/married and buying property, I felt I had nothing much to contribute to the chit-chat. Still, I had a good time and a slice of chocolate bavarian (N.B. this language technique is called a syllepsis zeugma).

Left BQ's at around 10pm to go to Jim's 21st in the city. The idea was that I'd spend about three hours at each party and then be tucked up in bed around 2am like a good little aardvark. This didn't happen.

Arrived at Jim's party around 11pm. I had a surprising amount of fun, even though my regular crew abandoned me (they'd been there for quite a while already) and all the good booze (namely vodka) had disappeared down someone else's hatch. I got by chatting to various randoms who turned up every now and again.

Later we decided that the lack of vodka sucked so Jim and I went to get a bottle (and rum because the Punk Pirate had turned up thirsty), but the midnight liquor laws prevented us from achieving this aim by a mere 20 minutes. We managed to reap some Red Bull for the Jagermeister, though.

By then I'd drunk four Jager bombs and three Kahlua jaffas and for some insane reason decided I'd like to try mixing tequila with lemonade to see if it tasted any good. Punk Pirate decided to pour tequila shots for everyone because there were wedges of lemon sitting on a plate not doing anything. So I had two slugs of tequila that I shouldn't have had...

This pretty much pushed me over the edge so I ended up crashing in one of the beds talking to Jim, Boy Lego, Punk Pirate and Beamer. Punk Pirate was particularly open. I think I found out more about him in 20 minutes than in all the time I've known him. Then I had a nap for about three hours, only to wake up to the smudge of dawn peeking over the horizon. Boy Lego had gone home by that point. I found Punk Pirate, Jim and Beamer sitting outside on the balcony chatting. Jim was sitting on Beamer's lap and seemed pretty happy about it (all that denial about having a crush on him for nothing...). Then I decided the tequila was making me feel seedy and decided to go home.

I got home at 7am, had a shower and went to bed. The tequila - and I maintain it was the tequila alone - made my head feel like someone was scraping my brain from my skull with a blunt knife. It wasn't until about 11am, after a short sleep, some Vegemite toast and a large cup of tea that I felt human again. Needless to say I was glad that the jazz picnic excursion was cancelled so I could bum around for the day.

Don't let me ever forget that tequila is not my friend.

No comments: