28 May, 2007

Shoes

I bought two pairs of shoes today. This is a big thing becaquse I am not a 'shoe' girl. I don't have 30 favourite pairs of shoes, I mean. I have twelve pairs of shoes, which seemed a lot to my younger exes (who both only had one pair, mind - I've come to think that teenage boys never have more than two pairs of shoes) but is nothing in the scheme of things considering that four of those pairs are interchangeable sandals that I only wear in summer.

One pair I bought today replaced a particularly ugly pair of black shoes that looked too much like the kind of shoes I had to wear to school, only uglier. I replaced the black laces with red laces, which made them more fun, but it couldn't hide the fact that they were obese and ungraceful. Thankfully I've finally worn down the heel (or the outside of the heel, if you know anything about how I stand/walk) and the inner lining has worn away so I gratefully threw them out and purchased a pair of Roc boots, which now also have red laces for continuity.

I purchased the Rocs at Mathers, which has a strange hold on me. I don't know why, but every time I go into that store, I shell out $80+. Which is why I never wander in to browse - the last time I came out of the store I had bought a pair of navy sandals for $80, which were certainly not worth the money considering they were 1) navy and 2) sandals.

My favourite pair of shoes is my red sneakers, which I wear at least once a week - more often than not two or three times a week. The red sneakers must have white laces. If they don't come with white laces, I rethread them myself (in fact, I think the current pair has the laces from sneakers I had four years ago). I don't know why I like red sneakers so much, but they've become a signature item of mine.

My current pair are dying. They were a cheap $30 acquisition from Target and have served me well. Now I'm back on the Dunlops (I originally wore Dunlop Volleys until they redesigned them ugly), which only cost me $40 at Kmart, home of quality footwear.

This was actually rather pre-emptive of me because I was supposed to buy a replacement pair of laceless shoes a la my red Nine West pair (given to me by my Canadian aunt because my cousin didn't want them) which are almost worn through. These are far harder to replace because I'm not sure if I want another red pair of shoes or the funky black and white chequered ones with apple print I saw at the weekend (incidentally they are laceless canvas Dunlop Volleys), which are only $30. My feeling, however, is that those will have to come later - two pairs of shoes in one day is quite enough...

No comments: