17 March, 2007

Why I intensely dislike myspace

So, I got myself a myspace page contrary to everything I believe in. I'd been signed up previously, only because I had to retrieve an image off someone's gallery. Then, because Mae Mae is starting up a website for fans of alternative rock bands I thought to at least have some sort of profile up so I could boost her numbers.

In the process I discovered a number of things I don't like about myspace:

1. I know HTML but I have no idea how to change any of the fields except the background ie the whole process of individualising the page is not intuitive.

2. People can find you.

3. The whole point of the site is to network. I hate networking. It has never served me well.

4. People/companies/bands feel that they need to have a myspace page to validate their online existence (in addition to any websites they may already operate). Including yours truly, who has been its biggest detractor for a long time. It really is a case of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" and that is sad.

Yeah. I've sold a fragment of my soul to myspace. My life is slowly becoming Google's.

No comments: