24 March, 2007

She's gone

RIP 17.09.1996 - 23.03.2007

I thought that if I saw her, I could imagine her sleeping and everything would be okay. But the sting of the medical top notes in the veterinary hospital took away any doubt that the rigid corpse before me was all that remained of my dear girl. Her muzzle was furry like an unripe kiwi fruit, but it was cold and dry - unlike her at all.

I'm sorry Chi'na. I'm sorry I couldn't be there to say goodbye. I never knew that that walk was our last. Maybe if I knew, I would have let you sniff the world a little longer and let you caper about in the park unleashed for a while. I would have visited last weekend. But I didn't know, I couldn't have known. It was all so fast...

I hope that you passed without pain and I hope you knew that I loved you. Somewhere up there in the big backyard in the sky you're giving Scruffy a nip and telling him not to be so lazy. Give him a pat for me.

No comments: