31 March, 2006

Easy Mac (convenience food)

I don't usually review food. Largely because even though I'm quite picky I'll generally eat anything. Palate and ambience don't really come into it as long as there's nutrition to be had. This review, however, is a cautionary tale about what happens when you eat to procrastinate and see a sample pack of Kraft Easy Mac sitting on the kitchen bench.

Pour the macaroni into a bowl, add 2/3 cup of cold water and microwave (uncovered) for 3-4 mins on high. Open cheese sauce, mix well with macaroni and there you go, Easy Mac.

I can cook anything that involves boiling water. Rice, pasta, couscous, it has all happened. Cooking food in a microwave is a little disconcerting - it's the kind of thing I used to do when I was 12 and ate soggy pies, cooked from frozen, for dinner when I didn't want to accompany my parents to their friend's dinner party.

Easy Mac is a little disconcerting. Microwaving the pasta is not a good start. The deliberate watery nature of the pasta after it has been cooked is not a good sign. The fact that the cheese sauce is a strange orange powder (made from Kraft cheese - as if that will allay my fears) is also a bit frightening. The cheese powder mixes in with the hot microwaved water to make the sauce in which the macaroni drowns. Souper. Processed city. Convenient, but of dubious origin. I cut up some fresh tomato and green olives, then added some of the baby spinach and rocket mix we had in the fridge as vegie penance. Edible.

Note to self: do not eat food that has come in the mail.

* - a recipe for disaster

No comments: