24 August, 2012

Chilled Lille


14th August 2012 (Lille, France)

Pretty much spent the whole day in bed exhausted by whatever illness I caught in Poland. I'd visited a pharmacy the day before and with what French I had managed to convey to the pharmacist that I had had a sore throat and now I had a cough. She sold me cough medicine. I can't read medicine bottles at the best of times so when it's in French it's even more difficult, but I managed to figure out the dosage.

At 5 o'clock I went to meet Boff at the Grand Palais following his afternoon game, which he'd won. We walked into town and then around the Citadelle, which is a five-point fortress designed by a famous fortress designer (is there a proper word for that? Defence architect, or something?), Vauban. Vauban's work can be seen all around the northern borders of France and some towns in Belgium and The Netherlands.

The Citadelle, I'd found out the day before, is only open on Sunday to a limited number of people on a tour conducted by the tourism office. One needs to sign up by the Thursday prior: I tried but the Sunday tour was full and we'd be in Amsterdam the following week.

We then had galettes (pancakes) and crepes at a creperie downtown in rue des debris St Etienne. Yes, two types of pancakes for dinner.

Photo of the day is of a guy who stands near the central fountain making large bubbles for donations. He only gets one out of 10 going and most of the time those are popped by voracious kids but I managed to catch this photo.

No comments: