26 July, 2012

Red, red, red





25th July 2012 (Budapest, Hungary)
Boff and I walked up Andrassy and Kirily Ave trying to find the Heroes' Park but it turned out we were going the wrong way (I take no responsibility for this, he has been here two days and I also had a defective map) so we ended up in the castle district, which was fine because that's where I wanted to go.

Did the usual touristy things up there, Matthias Church and the castle walls where there are great views of the city and the Danube. When I visited Vienna in 2005 I couldn't get the bloody Blue Danube tune out of my head and it started up again here. As with Vienna, the Danube is not blue here either.

Had lunch at the famous New York Cafe. Food was quite good but the drinks were astronomically priced, and we just had water! (It was A$10  equivalent for a 750ml bottle.)

Photo of the day is me at Memento Park, which is an outdoor sculpture park where all the Communist era monuments have been collected to remind Hungarians (and visitors) of communism's brutal history.

No comments: