03 July, 2011

#27: Total number of films you own on DVD/video

Another difficult one to answer considering I've packed most of my DVDs, which was a preventative measure from when I had a thieving, lying, no good very bad housemate. That time has since led into a period of vague renovation and a furniture shuffle so in short, my parents still have the core DVDs from my collection.

BTW, I no longer have videos because I no longer have a video player, but my 'collection' consisted of Disney's Aladdin and its sequel, The Return of Jafar (which someone bought me as a birthday present because they saw I liked Aladdin). The rest were all part of the 'family' collection, which included The Sound of Music (taped from TV), 101 Dalmatians (pirated), The Last Unicorn (pirated) and a couple of Chinese ghost movies (taped from TV).

My current DVD collection consists of movies that I want to watch again and again. Strangely enough, it does not contain all my favourite films. As a guesstimate, I'd say there are probably 30 films there all up, and then another 30 DVDs of TV shows and music. It's reasonably complete, which is to say I'm not desperate to buy anything at this point in time.

I'm a little concerned that because the price of films has come down (I mean, videos used to be like RRP $30 and now you can get DVDs of fairly recent movies for $12.95 or even less at JB Hi-Fi) people just buy them without having seen the film before. I think I'm a little more discerning because while DVDs are cheap, real estate is expensive and I just don't have the room. I will always watch the film before buying the DVD and will only buy the DVD if I know I will want to watch the film at least a few more times.

I used to live with a friend who had more than 400 DVDs, so I just borrowed discs from her. Now I have a Quickflix account so I watch films that I miss at the cinema and also try out TV shows that I think I might like.

Day 28 - Last film you bought.
Day 29 - Last film you watched.
Day 30 - Five films that mean a lot to you.

Twenty-one categories of this meme are from Books and Movies and Wordsmithsonia. The rest of the categories are my own creation.

No comments: