17 January, 2010

Sydney Festival - Week 2 (festival)

Sydney Festival
Various venues, Sydney (9-30th January, 2010)


Jai Ho by AR Rahman
ABC TV / Parramatta Park (16 Jan)

I'd planned a public transport odyssey to Parramatta Park long before the Sydney Festival push, but a family emergency meant that I had to commute in from West Pennant Hills instead of Waverton and I wasn't likely to reach Parramatta Park before 7pm. The clincher was no services coming BACK after 10pm; without a car, I was stranded.

As a result, I ended up going to my crowd-phobic friend's place (actually, it was my Waverton flatmate who was at her parents' place in West Pennant Hills too) to watch the ABC telecast on a widescreen TV.

Jai Ho looked a colourful and well choreographed medley of hit after hit. Sir took the time to semi-translate the Hindi songs and also give me a big rundown of the musical pedigree of all the singers, plus the movies from which all the songs came, which gave the presentation solid context from which to view the spectacle.

The telecast was superb, switching focus among the musicians as well as showing shots of the crowd. On TV, the gig seemed much more intimate than the 70,000-strong audience should allow. (I feel I would have enjoyed it more by soaking up the vibe with some other friends who were there from 2pm, had I been able to go at that time, as the gate system meant if you arrived separately you'd be put in different sections.)

The colour and light of the performances, and the peaceful overtones of Rahman's songs was a poignant reminder of Indian talent, and you could not miss the friendship exuded by the troupe.

A feast for the eyes and ears, this gig seemed like a gift from Sydney Festival to the people of Western Sydney, particularly those of Indian descent, while opening the culture and the music to other Sydneysiders who may not be as familiar with Rahman.

(A side note: The chick who hosted the telecast kept pronouncing AR Rahman 'ramen' - like the Japanese noodle - when it's 'ray-mahn'. You would THINK she would learn it before mispronouncing it to the whole of Australia and some of the world...)

Gig rating: 9/10
Enjoyment rating: 7/10


Camera Obscura
Beck's Festival Bar, Hyde Park Barracks (21 Jan)

Apart from The Famous Spiegeltent, the Beck's Festival Bar is my favourite Sydney Festival venue, beating out the likes of the Domain, the Sydney Opera House, The Carriageworks and The Seymour Centre. It's a tent beside a monument that, for most of the year, is a museum. An austere building that used to house the army (and other people throughout history) could not ask for a more exciting neighbour than the marquee that brings it to life every January.

Usually, I visit the Beck's Bar twice a festival (largely because I suspect the lineup there is curated by my favourite radio station FBi, whose taste is impeccable) but unfortunately this year I missed out on Grizzly Bear tix as they were incredibly popular. So Camera Obscura was it.

The thing I love about the Beck's gigs is that they almost inevitably feature some artist you kind of know but not intimately (some exceptions, but bear with me) so it's always a gig of discovery. Supporting Camera Obscura were the Popfrenzy DJs and The Slow Club, a lively duo of folk-pop goodness that got the dancefloor bopping. Unfortunately I had neglected to change my shoes from work so had to beware the red gravel but had a good, but oh-so-short bop-along. The Slow Club were only warming up so I think this calls for a show of their own next year, don't you?

Camera Obscura were sweet and true to their indie folk pop sensibilities. The roof of the marquee was different from years before, higher and more accommodating of hundreds of rhythmic jostling bodies that were simultaneously coping with a warm summer evening. And here's the funny thing: their music glided through the night as if it were created for warm Sydney nights instead of cold Glasgow ones. The gig was thus well suited and well constructed, the right setlist of new and old, popular and more obscure songs and the right amount of intra-band banter that made them endearing.

Alas, Sir and I succumbed to old people-itis, which is when we decided our feet hurt and we needed a sit-down. The Beck's Bar is good like that, especially this year when it provided us with plenty of areas to hang out in with long comfy seats and everything.

The only two gripes I have is: this year the new marquee has commandeered the best breakout spot, under the tree at the back, as part of the VIP area; a continuing gripe is the house beer, Beck's, is $7 (or $7.50... I don't recall exactly). A bit much considering they don't import it any more. Sir and I always have the same discussion every year - surely they could sell it for $5 and really make it a Beck's night? Oh well, it was just one bottle apiece.

Gig rating: 8/10
Enjoyment rating: 7/10

No comments: