22 June, 2009

Welcome to Revesby

I went to visit a friend yesterday, she lives in Picnic Point, which is kind of near Bankstown, the outer areas of Sydney and not exactly the most desirable place to live in the metropolis despite its perfectly acceptable suburban-ness.

I walked to her place from Revesby Station, a 20-minute hike. On the way back I missed the train by a minute - I literally watched it go as I entered the street where the station was located.

So I decided to get some fish and chips (GRILLED fish, chips and salad, thank you) from a nearby chippie and eat it at the station. I get to the platform to the city - and there are paramedicas and transit officer everywhere. Then I see it, a body covered in a space blanket lying on the tracks.

I went into a minor panic until I realised one of the paramedics was speaking to said body and it was alive - the space blankets were there for warmth and to keep drizzle off.

I never did find out how he got down there - whether he fell, was pushed, or jumped, but I did think about what a terrible thing it would be if someone took a photo of him and posted it on the internet. No one did. Not that I know of anyway. Either it's a regular occurrence at Revesby Station or they have more dignity there than I imagined.

The train had to be delayed by 15 minutes as they scooped him off the tracks and into a waiting ambulance.

No comments: