18 October, 2008

The Muppet Show Ep 38 (TV show)

Read a summary of this episode at Muppet Central.

When I want a little time out, I sit down and watch DVDs of The Muppet Show. I remember enjoying the show as a kid but I don't actually remember any of the shows so I've coerced these season DVDs out of my mum as Christmas gifts for the past couple of years (and I hear season 3 is out now, so that's Christmas 2008 sorted).

Although the jokes are often self-consciously corny, I like the show, the silliness and the oblique digs at conservatism.

But the reason this episode is super special is because it features Elton John, who was a big superstar at the time (and is still pretty newsworthy today) in a number of muppet-ational outfits. Often, the guests stars are well-known in the US, but I would struggle to name those I actually recognise apart from Julie Andrews and Bernadette Peters, both musical stars, and Peter Sellers.

While not my favourite artist, Elton ranks pretty highly on my list of musical favourites and this episode doesn't disappoint, with three big numbers: Crocodile Rock, Bennie and the Jets and Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road (which I usually attempt to sing at karaoke).



However, it isn't just Elton that makes the show appealing. The support skits are actually a lot funnier than previous shows, particularly the running gag with the Swedish chef and the chicken, which bleeds into the Pigs in Space sketch (when "two alien life forms" are detected on the ship) and continues backstage, front of stage and in Statler and Waldorf's box at the end of the show.

In the DVD version that I have, there is also a scene where Fozzie and Rowlf play English Country Garden on the piano. It is actually from a later episode in the season but cut into this episode for no apparent reason. However, it is one of the better Rowlf pieces (Rowlf is my favourite Muppet character) because it features Rowlf shouting "Modulate!" at Fozzie and ends with a huge glissando that takes both characters off the seat, the physical gag.



The other recurring theme that I like is the conservatism of Sam the Eagle, who always gets his comeuppance. In this episode, Kermit and Sam have a particularly funny exchange -
SAM: "I have seen some pretty weird guests on the show but this Elton John borders on the REVOLUTIONARY!"
KERMIT: "Sam, Elton John is a very important musician."
SAM: "Then why does he dress like a stolen car?"

Kermit then tells Sam that even classical musicians like Mozart were 'revolutionary' and wore high heels, stockings and a wig. After being shown a painting of Mozart wearing said outfit, Sam loses a bet and is forced to announce Elton's last song in flamboyant clothing. A win for the arts over conservatism!

This episode, for me, epitomises everything I like about the show: the guest spot, the characters, the jokes, the sly subversiveness and the music.

Episode rating: 8/10
Enjoyment rating: 10/10

No comments: