10 July, 2008

On the scene

My mother has always hated Get Smart ("it's a silly show") and now that it's in cinemas everywhere, I think she dreads the revival of the TV series, which is inevitably available on DVD. I've always enjoyed the inanity and have used terms like 'the cone of silence' on many occasions.

Anyway, the point of mentioning her comment was that we couldn't agree on anything to watch at the cinema on Tuesday. She wanted to see Children of the Silk Road, I wanted to see Get Smart so we compromised and saw Mongol instead. It was a bit too long and a bit too bloody, is all I'll say.

What amazes me is the number of films out now which are based on TV shows: Get Smart, Sex & The City, The X Files: I want to believe, The Dark Knight (albeit originally based on a comic book). Then the number of films based on graphic novels, stage shows, character franchises, books, anime... Is there an original idea in this industry?

Am looking forward to The Dark Knight but also have a bunch of others on my list to see: The Orphanage, Wanted, The Square and maybe even Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay.

No comments: