23 January, 2006

CODA (gig)

CODA with Abby Dobson, supported by Inga Liljestrom
Becks Festival Bar, Hyde Park Barracks (22nd Jan, 2006)

I like the Becks Bar. It's laidback, it's funky, it can groove, it can pump. But you would think that the house beer would be cheaper than the $6.50/bottle the bar was charging. The five of us bought our drinks ($3.50 for a small plastic cup of soft drink - the beer was probably better value) and then perched ourselves on the pavement outside the marquee, having a chat while waiting for the band/s to start. That was cool. Nothing like a summer dusk in Sydney.

Inga Liljestrom fronted up first. I'd read reports that her style was a cross between Bjork, Portishead and Marianne Faithfull. Not far from the truth, though unfortunately I'm not a great fan of any of those reputed artists. But she sung with passion and I admired rather than liked her set, which was accompanied by beautiful images of life's minutiae, a seahorse unfurling, a hula hoop spinning. She has the kind of voice that always seems at breaking point, without the delicate ethereality of a Katie Noonan but somehow yearning. It was a pity that a lot of her songs sounded the same - I don't think I could listen to an entire album without checking if my stereo was on repeat. 'A' for effort but I just didn't 'get' it; it's not you Inga, it's me.

Resplendent in fetching hats and debonair outfits (namely Nick and Naomi, viola and violin respectively), CODA took to the stage, starting with an old favourite, 'Latin Quarter' from their 'There is a Way to Fly' album. I have a fond memory of them playing this song to end their set at the 2002 Surry Hills Festival (when it was still held along Crown Street) and making Ross dance it with me. They mixed it up a bit, which was good - some pieces from their album, some from their EP and some new songs which are to be released on their forthcoming album. Abby Dobson came in to say 'hi' and sung two songs, 'Rise Up', which I'd heard at her Christmas Eve gig and 'Circus Bizarre' from the 'For Our Animal Friends' EP, although the EP version doesn't have lyrics (?!).

I love CODA because their style is so resonant, it has a certain depth and reality to it that somehow flies on the fantasy of their instruments. They have a bohemian flair without exploiting the genre and they know what works, they know how to build a piece and present music at its greatest splendour. When musical arrangements are as ornate and quirky as CODA's, you have to admit that they're true originals. Love the strings and Bree on the vibraphone, which is not to detract from drum and bass but that's what I like.

Neither Nick nor Naomi, the frontpeople for CODA, are all that great with talking to the audience. I kind of knew this before from their previous gigs but it seemed more apparent at this venue for some reason - less intimacy, perhaps? I think the set would work better if the music segued from piece to piece, though I know this is almost impossible seeing as they'd have to stop for applause. But less talk, more music!

Speaking of which, I don't mean to be rude but there's no point to the CODApendant showgirls. I'm sure they started off as some kind of tribute to bohemian burlesque or Pigalle or something but seriously, their choreography is rather amateur and their costumes try too hard to be provocative but just pose questions marks. Perhaps they used to enhance the CODA experience, but I think they tend to detract from the music. Assumpta and I both emitted groans when they were introduced and none of their routines did anything to assuage the feeling that they were ruining an otherwise good show. Sorry. I hope they serve some other purpose, like as muses or something 'cos they don't do anything for me.

**** for CODA and Abby; **1/2 for Inga; 0 for the CODApendants

No comments: